- The admissions profile for matriculated students to the UI College of Medicine in 2022:
152 enrolled from 74 different colleges (Iowa-39; ISU-10; UNI-2)
70% of the MD class is made up of residents of the State of Iowa.
Age Range: 20-37
Mean GPA: Cumulative 3.79, Science 3.74
Mean MCAT Scores:
- CARS 127
- PSBB 129
- CPBS 129
- BBFL 129
- The UI College of Medicine takes a holistic approach when evaluating candidates. The competitive candidate will have:
- Medical shadowing, ideally with multiple physicians in multiple settings
- Demonstrated success in academics, particularly in science
- Multiple semesters of rigorous coursework with multiple science courses
- Strong letters of reference from a science faculty, research mentors, or volunteer coordinator. Reference requirements vary at other medical schools.
- Commitment to serving others. Students can demonstrate this in many ways such as volunteering with human service organizations, medical facilities and student organizations.
- Leadership experience
- Remember, it’s not about what “looks good” but rather, doing what sparks an interest in medicine. Medical schools seek engaged, intellectually well-rounded students who are naturally curious, adept at science, invested in helping others, and open to working with diverse groups of people.
- Some things to consider when considering medical school:
- Am I committed to serving others?
- Do I have a strong interest in science?
- Do I enjoy working with people?
- Do I enjoy working with others in a team-setting and problem-solving?
- Have I shadowed a doctor? Am I interested in the work that doctors do?
- Am I committed to the time, money and effort involved in a medical education?
- Do I have empathy? Can I see myself working with people who may be in pain or afraid?
- Do I have a parallel plan outside of medical school?
- How to get started
- Meet with your pre-medical advisor
- Shadow physicians in multiple specialties. Ask questions and document what you learn.
- Research volunteer opportunities.
- Check out AAMC’s student pre-medical website: https://students-residents.aamc.org/
- Thinking about a post baccalaureate program?