It is important to us that we are intentional in how we work with students and what we hope they gain from their academic advising experience. Below you will find our philosophy for what we hope to accomplish with students:
The Academic Advising Center promotes student success through excellent developmental academic advising focused on student learning and engagement. We aspire to provide advising leadership at the institutional, regional, and national level.
The Academic Advising Center strives to help each student make a successful transition to the University, explore their interests and possibilities, develop an appropriate academic plan, and engage in educationally meaningful experiences. We do this through one-on-one advising and by advocating and developing programs, policies and procedures that create an environment that supports student success. We aim to create an inclusive environment where all students feel welcome and valued.
Provide students with academic advising, support, and programming. Educate students on the tools and resources available to them to successfully manage their college experience. Specifically, advising includes:
- Teaching students how to navigate the University, make informed decisions, and take an active role in planning their educational experience.
- Guiding students to utilize the tools and resources to understand their interests and abilities, identify academic goals and develop appropriate academic plans.
- Encouraging students to challenge themselves in their growth and development.
- Engaging students in conversation and reflection to understand the purpose and value of their educational experiences.
- Helping students understand that their well-being is related to their success in college.
- Challenging students to cultivate their curiosity.
- Encouraging students to identify and participate in educationally meaningful co-curricular activities.
- Create a welcoming, inclusive and accessible environment.
- Commit to ongoing learning and development of our staff.
- Advocate for inclusive and equitable practices across campus.
Promote and advocate for institutional programs, policies, requirements, and procedures that enrich the student experience and facilitate student persistence to graduation.
- Students can use resources to acquire information about courses.
- Students can use resources to acquire information about academic programs.
- As appropriate, students use tools and resources to identify their interests and abilities.
- Students set academic goals based on their interests and abilities.
- Students monitor their academic progress.
- Students understand the purpose of their General Educational Requirements.
- Students learn the purpose and advantages of planning using Sample Plans, MyPlan, and Schedule Builder.
- Students demonstrate that they can navigate the University to find information and get the assistance they need.
- Students understand the importance of educationally meaningful co-curricular activities.
- Students can identify educationally meaningful co-curricular activities.
- Students understand that their well-being contributes to success in college.
- Students incorporate diverse perspectives into their educational experience.