Pharmacy Interest accordion
Pharmacy programs do not all require the same courses. Be sure to research the schools to which you plan to apply and learn what pre-requisites are required.
Below are the prerequisite courses for the UI’s Pharm. D. program:
- Rhetoric: 4 sh
- Calculus: 3-4 sh
- General Biology with lab: 8 sh
- General Chemistry with lab: 8 sh
- Organic Chemistry: 6 sh
- Microbiology with lab: 4 sh
- Human Anatomy: 3 sh
- Human Physiology: 3-4 sh
- Biochemistry: 3 sh
- Statistics: 3 sh
- Microeconomics: 3-4 sh
- Physics: 1 year high school or 1 semester college with or without lab
- General Education Courses: 12 sh
Pharmacists dispense medication and provide pharmaceutical education to patients and other health care professionals. Pharmacists work in a variety of settings including hospitals, retail businesses, long-term care facilities, internet pharmacies, and public health services. Pharmacists may also work in research and in governmental agencies ensuring the strength and safety of medications.
Learn more about Pharmacy at these websites:
- UI College of Pharmacy: https://pharmacy.uiowa.edu/pharmd/admissions
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy: www.aacp.org
- Pharmacy College Application Services (PharmCAS): http://www.pharmcas.org/
- Explore Health Careers - https://explorehealthcareers.org/field/pharmacy/
- Bureau of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook, pharmacy:
- American Pharmacists Association (APhA): http://www.pharmacist.com
- All prerequisite courses must be completed by time of matriculation. The application deadline for the UI College of Pharmacy is December 1st and accepted students begin in August the following year. All applications for the UI College of Pharmacy are completed through PharmCAS, the online application portal.
- Applicants to UI’s College of Pharmacy must take the Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT). Information on registering for the PCAT and reporting scores to schools can be found here: www.pcatweb.info
- Applicants must provide at least two letters of reference submitted through PharmCAS.
- Competitive applicants will be invited for a personal interview.
- All applicants must submit consent for a criminal background check.
The admissions profile of students admitted to the UI’s College of Pharmacy in 2020:
- 98 students matriculated
- Cumulative GPA: 3.43
- PCAT Composite: 62%
- 63% earned Bachelor’s Degree before Admission
How to get started:
- Meet with your Pharmacy Interest academic advisor
- Attend the UI’s Pre-Pharmacy Club
- Shadow a pharmacist or volunteer in a pharmacy setting