Summer Hawk Tuition Grant

Summer Hawk Tuition Grant III

Please note that summer 2018 will be the final time that the Summer Hawk Tuition Grant will be available to eligible students.   Read this information carefully to learn more about the rules for Summer 2018

First-year, first-time students entering the university as of Summer 2013 may be eligible for the Summer Hawk Tuition Grant III, which can offset tuition costs for up to 6 semester hours during one summer at Iowa. Transfer students are not eligible for the Summer Hawk Tuition Grant III.

The grant awards Iowa residents a scholarship to cover tuition charges for up to 6 semester hours (s.h.) of summer courses. Non-residents registered for more than 4 s.h. receive the difference between resident and non-resident tuition. (Non-residents are already charged the resident tuition rate if taking 4 or fewer s.h.)

The value of the scholarship depends on the actual number of hours for which a student enrolls during a single summer. It must be used within four years of admission and includes the summer after the fourth year. The grant must be used before you graduate, even if you graduate prior to the summer after your fourth year of enrollment.

These rules apply to the Summer Hawk Tuition Grant III for summer 2018.  Here are answers to some frequently asked questions.

Are there any rules I need to be aware of to be eligible for the grant?

You should be aware of the following rules:

  • You must have entered the University Summer 2013 or later as a first year student (transfer student are not eligible for this grant).
  • You must have enrolled and paid full-time tuition to the University of Iowa as an undergraduate student for each of the previous two semesters (fall and spring).

What does the grant cover?

  • For resident students, the grant covers up to 6 s.h. of tuition.
  • For non-resident students enrolled in 5-6 s.h., the grant covers the difference between non-resident and resident tuition. (Non-residents are already charged the resident tuition rate if taking 4 or fewer s.h.)

This includes differential tuition for the Colleges of Business, Engineering, and Nursing. Financial need is not required to make use of this grant.

There will be no exceptions to the maximum of 6 s.h. to be covered by the grant.

What is not covered by the grant?

Students are still responsible for all mandatory fees, course fees, and miscellaneous fees associated with enrollment. 

The grant does not cover study abroad, internships, or other programs IF a fee is paid to an outside entity, even if that fee is billed as tuition.

You will be asked to verify that you understand the rules for what is covered by the grant when accepting the grant.

How will I know if my study abroad program qualifies?

Typically, programs that are reciprocal exchange programs will qualify for the grant. Students in reciprocal exchange programs enroll in a foreign university while paying Iowa tuition and fees. The following link will allow you to search for this type of program:

You can use this as a starting point. However, it's very important that you work closely with an advisor in the Study Abroad office well in advance of the summer you plan to use the grant, so you can be sure the program you are considering qualifies. Also, it's important to remember that for qualifying programs, the grant covers up to 6 s.h. of tuition only and not the fees associated with these programs.

Because the number of study abroad programs that qualify for the grant is limited, students might want to consider using the grant to take academic courses at Iowa during a summer in order to free up a fall or spring semester or academic year for study abroad.

How will I know if my internship or practicum qualifies?

There are many different internship and practicum courses. Some have their administrative home in academic departments or colleges. Others are offered through the Pomerantz Career Center.

  • Through the Pomerantz Career Center:

    If you are doing an internship or practicum, it is covered by the Hawk Grant if you register it for course credit and it is not through a fee-based program (example: the Washington Center). To see if your internship is eligible for course credit through the Pomerantz Career Center and thus, covered by the grant, you can look at internship course stipulations
    here and/or contact
  • Through your Academic Department/College:

    You can consult with your academic department to determine whether the experience is eligible for course credit through that department. You can consult with the Billing Office to see if your internship will be covered. For contact information go to

If I participate in a study abroad program during the fall or spring semester, prior to the summer that I want to use the grant, does that semester count as being enrolled in order to qualify for the grant the following summer?

Yes, participating in a study abroad program during fall or spring semester will count as being enrolled in order to qualify for the grant the following summer.

When will I be able to register for summer classes? How will I know which courses will be appropriate for me to take over the summer?  

Registration for summer session 2018 runs from March 5th through March 9th.  It is important that you plan with your academic advisor prior to those dates so that you are ready to register during that time.  This will maximize your chances of getting into the courses you wish to take. 

Every student's needs are different, so it is important that you work with your academic advisor to choose the courses that will benefit you.  A listing of summer course offerings are currently available on MyUI.  However, you should be aware that departments may continue to revise course offerings up until the registration period.  When working with your advisor, you will also want to discuss possible alternative courses.

 What if I don’t plan to be on campus over the summer?

There will be a variety of online courses offered for the summer.  Again, it will be important to work with your advisor prior to the March registration period to look for appropriate courses for your degree plan. 


Is housing available during the summer session?

Arranging summer housing is the responsibility of each student. There will be a limited number of double and single rooms available in Currier Hall during the summer; students may contract for the entire summer or for one or more summer sessions offered. Preference will be given to students who had a spring housing contract and/or will have a fall housing contract. Contact University Housing & Dining (4141 Burge Hall, 319-335-3000) for further information.

If you wish to live off-campus and need to find temporary summer quarters, you may want to look for a summer sub-lease. The University's Off-Campus Housing Service may be helpful in searching for possible subleases.


What are the maximum number of hours I can take during the summer? How many hours will the grant cover?

While you may enroll in up to 12 semester hours during the summer, the maximum number of hours the grant will cover is 6 s.h. You'll want to discuss your plan with your academic advisor. Remember that summer courses are more intensive and the work is compressed into a much tighter time frame.

Here are some things to consider when determining how many hours in which to enroll:

  • Which courses you will be taking. It's important to be realistic about how much homework you will have. Will there be a heavy reading and writing load? You also need to be realistic about how quickly material may be covered and how much studying you will need to do each day.
  • What else you are doing over the summer. Will you be working or volunteering along with taking classes?
  • How the courses you wish to take overlap within the various summer sessions. You will likely have more room for possible course combinations if you spread your registration over several of the sessions.

How and when do I tell you I want to use the grant?

Eligibility for every undergraduate student will be determined by the Registrar’s Office on February 2nd. If you are eligible, you will be notified by email (using your University email address) and you will also receive a message in MyUI.  You can also check your status by looking on MyUI under Financial Aid & Billing; look for the link Summer Hawk Tuition Grant under the Financial Aid heading. You will see your status as either eligible or not eligible. If you are not eligible, the message will provide one of the following reasons:

  • You did not enter as a first year student (transfers are not eligible)
  • You entered the University prior to Summer 2013
  • You did not pay full time tuition both Fall 2017 and Spring 2018
  • You were awarded the grant in a previous summer

Students who are eligible for the grant will not need to apply for or accept the grant.  Once you register for summer, the billing office will check to be sure that the courses you have registered for qualify for the grant. If they do, the grant will automatically be applied to your summer tuition bill.

If I decide to withdraw after classes have begun, resulting in a charge of a percentage of the tuition, will that be paid by the Hawk grant?

Yes, the Hawk grant would be applied to that percentage of the tuition.

If I am a non-resident student and register for 0-4 semester hours, there is no difference between the in-state and out-of-state tuition rate. Does this mean I get free tuition?

No, in this case you would end up paying the tuition, with no benefit from the grant. If you are a non-resident student, you should plan to use the grant only if you will be enrolling in 5 or 6 s.h.

What if I enroll in more than 6 s.h. of coursework? How much will I have to pay?

The answer to this question depends on several things, including your residency status and what courses you are taking.  You should be sure to project your costs for different scenarios by using the Registrar’s Tuition Calculator:

Will I be able to get financial aid during the summer that I use the grant?

The Summer Hawk Grant applies to tuition only. You may be eligible to apply for summer loans and/or Work-Study to cover other costs of attendance for summer IF you enroll in six or more summer hours. Federal loans have annual limits. You may have exhausted these limits with your fall and spring loans.

Summer financial aid requires a separate application. To learn more about the requirements for summer financial aid or to access the application go to Once you are registered for summer classes, you may submit the summer application, available on MyUI under Financial Aid and Summer Award Application.

If you have specific questions regarding summer loans or Work-Study, you may contact the Office of Student Financial Aid by emailing or calling (319) 335-1450 or stopping by 208 Calvin Hall during office hours (M-F 8:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.)


Who do I contact if I have further questions about the Summer Hawk Tuition Grant?

Refer to the links in the FAQ's above for questions related to those specific topics.
For questions about how to build summer courses into your plan of study, contact your advisor.
If you have additional questions contact