Open Majors FAQ

If I’m an Open Major, how do I work with my advisor?

All Open majors at the University of Iowa are assigned an advisor at the Academic Advising Center.  Students are encouraged to work closely with their academic advisor so that the student may gain a better understanding of his or her unique academic goals and requirements. Whatever your academic goals, your academic advisor is there to help you. We encourage you to make regular appointments with your academic advisor, who will:

  • Work with you to identify academic and vocational areas of interest
  • Assist you in course selection to explore academic disciplines
  • Introduce you to resources available on campus that will further assist you in your search
  • Listen to you

If I start as an Open Major does that mean I can’t graduate in four years?

It is important to note that while many majors at the University of Iowa have major coursework requirements that may be completed in four semesters, some majors have course sequences that require a full eight semesters of coursework. It is important for students to discuss their academic interests with their advisor early and often, especially if a student’s goal is a four-year graduation.

When can I change my major?

Students may change their major at any time and as often as they would like.  Contact your advisor to discuss your ideas.

When do I have to declare a major?

A student must declare a major or be admitted to a selective or limited-access major by the time 72 semester hours have been earned.

Can I graduate with an open major?

The Open major is not a degree granting major. This means that you will have to declare another major, and complete the requirements for that major, in order to earn a degree from the University.