It is important to us that we are intentional in how we work with students and what we hope they gain from their academic advising experience. Below you will find our philosophy for what we hope to accomplish with students:
The Academic Advising Center strives to promote student success through excellent developmental academic advising focused on student learning and engagement. We aspire to provide advising leadership at the institutional, regional, and national level.
The Academic Advising Center is committed to helping each student make a successful transition to the University, develop an appropriate academic plan, and engage in educationally meaningful activities. To that end, the Center advocates for programs, policies and procedures that create an environment conducive to student success. The Center models and communicates the Core Values of the University.
Provide students with the academic advising, programming, tools and resources to successfully manage the college experience and achieve their academic goals. Specifically,
- Provide students with the tools, resources and advising to assess their interests and abilities, identify academic goals and develop appropriate academic plans
- Teach students how to navigate the University, make informed decisions, and assume responsibility for their academic program and academic progress.
- Provide students with the tools and advising to understand the purpose and value of their educational experiences.
- Encourage students to pursue excellence.
Promote and contribute to a diverse, engaged campus community. Specifically,
- Create a welcoming, safe and accessible environment.
- Encourage students to incorporate diversity into their curricular and co-curricular experiences.
- Provide the advising, tools and programming to help students identify educationally meaningful co-curricular activities and encourage their participation.
Promote and advocate for institutional programs, policies, requirements, and procedures that enrich the student experience and facilitate student persistence to graduation.
Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of the advising experience:
- Students can locate and use resources to acquire information about courses.
- Students can locate and use resources to acquire information about academic programs.
- As appropriate, students use tools and resources to identify their interests and abilities.
- Students use their academic interests and abilities to set academic goals.
- Students select majors appropriate for their skills, interests and abilities.
- Students monitor their academic progress.
- Students learn how, and as appropriate, are able to create multi-semester plans.
- Students can identify potential educationally meaningful activities.
- Students demonstrate that they can navigate the University to find information and get the assistance they need.
- Students can articulate the purpose of their educational requirements.
- Students incorporate diverse perspectives into their academic plans and co-curricular activities.