The University of Iowa

Changing your Schedule

Dropping & Withdrawing

What should I know before dropping any of my classes?

  • Progress toward graduation and timeline for your major - Meet with your advisor to discuss the impact of adds and drops on your academic progress.
  • Add / drop deadlines - See the Course Deadlines page on the Registrar's website to see important deadlines for courses.
  • Financial aid - Will dropping a class cause you to loose financial aid?  Drop by the Office of Student Financial Aid in Jessup Hall to find out.
  • Tuition and fees - How much will it cost to drop a course? Is my tuition impacted?  Read below to find out.
  • International Status - If you are an international student, you should check with the International Student & Scholar Services Office about the enrollment requirements of your visa.
  • Full time status - Do you need to stay full time for financial aid or scholarships? Read below for important details.


How is withdrawing different from dropping courses?  What should I know about withdrawing?

  • If you have multiple or serious concerns about your academics, you might consider withdrawing from the semester.  Withdrawing means dropping all of your classes at once.
  • It is best to contact your advisor to begin the process.
  • The deadline to withdraw your registration is usually two weeks later than the deadline to drop individual semester length courses.
  • You may not continue to live in the residence halls after you have withdrawn your registration.
  • If you withdraw your entire registration, your transcript will not list the individual courses you were enrolled in for the semester. You will not receive W’s for these courses.
How could I avoid dropping a class?
  • Using your instructor’s office hours, help labs, review sessions, and tutors could help you raise your grade in the course.
  • Talk with your advisor for other ideas.
  • See what help is available; check out tutoring.
  • If extenuating circumstances have kept you from completing the work in the course by the deadline, see your instructor to discuss the possibility of taking an incomplete. Talk with your academic advisor to see what kind of documentation of your circumstances you might need to offer your instructor and what an incomplete means.
  • Using a Second Grade Only option might be an alternative to dropping.  Discuss the pros and cons of this option with your academic advisor.
Will dropping impact my tuition?
  • Dropping or withdrawing can usually affect your tuition only if you do it in the first two weeks of a fall or spring semester.
  • If you drop below full time and do so before the end of the second week of the semester, you will be charged only for the hours you are registered for after that deadline.
  • Dropping after the end of the second week of a regular semester or dropping if you still end up with 12 sh does not affect tuition.
  • If you withdraw your entire registration before the end of the second week of classes, tuition charges will be on a sliding scale determined by the date when you withdraw.
  • After the end of the third week of class, full tuition is charged.
  • See the Deadline Dates list on your MyUI Enrollment Summary for specific dates for each semester.
  • Check the Registrar's website for deadlines that affect tuition for courses or sessions that last less than the length of a full spring or fall semester.
What is full time? Do I need to be full time?
  • Full time status is 12 sh for undergraduates during the fall and spring semesters. Consult the Financial Aid office about full time status for any other session.
  • Financial aid/Scholarships If you have financial aid, a scholarship, or a loan, find out how dropping to part time status would affect them. Regulations are varied and complex, so visit the Student Financial Aid Office in 208 Calvin Hall for more information about your specific situation.
  • Greek eligibility may be jeopardized if you drop below full time status. If you are a member of a Greek organization, check with your house about how dropping below full time might affect you.
  • Athletic eligibility may be jeopardized if you drop below full time status. If you are an intercollegiate athlete, you must discuss your plans to drop or add with your Athletic Counselor. If you are not sure who that is, call 335-9384 to find out. You will need their signature on your drop/add slip to process it.
  • Income tax If your parents claim you as a dependent on their income tax return, you must be a full time student for some part of each of five months during a calendar year. Consult the IRS for further details.
  • Residence halls You may live in the residence halls even if you are not a full time student, provided you remain registered for at least seven semester hours.
When do I get a W? What does that mean?
  • If you drop after the end of the second week of class, the course appears on your transcript with a mark of W. This mark indicates that you withdrew from the class after the initial drop deadline but before you earned a final grade in the class.
  • A mark is not a grade and that means W's are not included in the calculations of your GPA. .
  • If you withdraw your entire registration, your transcript will not list the individual courses you were enrolled in for the semester. You will not receive W’s for these courses.

Adding Courses

What's open?
  • Once a class has started, seat availability is no longer accurately indicated on MyUI.
  • Check MyUI, the department office, or see the instructor for information on waitlists.
  • Attend possible classes the first day.
  • Ask your advisor for suggestions.
  • For courses that start after the semester has begun, you can continue to use MyUI for adds and drops.
When is it too late to add?
  • The add deadline is on the Registrar’s web page and on your MyUI Enrollment Summary.
  • Students who have not begun attending a class until late in the second week may find the instructor is concerned about adding them.
Is it ever possible to add after the deadline?
  • It’s worth asking, but permission may not be given.
  • Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may go to 120 SH to request permission to add late.
  • For Health and Physical Activity Skills classes, such requests should be made in the department Office, E-213 FH.
Can I change times (sections) of a course?
  • The advisor’s signature is not required.
  • The instructors’ signatures are required.
  • Can change sections at any point in the semester.
Can I take more than 18 sh in the fall or spring terms?
  • On the first day of the semester, take the completed add slip to 120 SH to request special permission.
  • Turn the slip in at the Registrar's Service Center, 2700 UCC.
Do I get a receipt after I add a course to show that I'm really registered for it?
  • When you turn in your add or drop form at the Registrar's Service Center, you will get a dated printout that shows your new schedule as of that date.
  • Check this printout before you leave the Center.
  • Keep it in a safe place until the end of the semester grades are posted in case there is any confusion about your registration.

How to change your schedule

Dropping and Adding Courses During the First Week of Classes


  • Last day students may register or change existing registration on MyUI is Sept 2, 2019.  After that time, you will need to obtain authorization from your advisor for any courses you want to drop, and the signatures of your advisor and the instructor for any courses you want to add.  The instructor’s signature is no longer required to drop a course at any time in the semester.  If you are a student athlete or an international student, you will need additional permissions to drop a course, beginning the first day of classes (from Student-Athlete Academic Services if you are a student athlete, and from International Student and Scholar Services if you are an international student).  See links below for more information.
  • You will not be able to use MyUI to change any off-cycle sections (sections that do not meet for the full length of the semester) that have already begun.  You will need signatures from your advisor and the instructor to add an off-cycle course that has already begun, and authorization by your advisor to drop an off-cycle course that has already begun.
  • If you’re considering a course change during the first week of classes, the Advising Center recommends that you see your academic advisor to discuss whether a change is a good idea for your individual situation.  Before adding any course, carefully read the course description on MyUI to make sure you are eligible to take the course.  If you are simply changing sections of the same course, you do not need to contact your advisor.
  • If you add a course during the first week, catch up immediately on readings and assignments.  You should also talk with the instructor to let him or her know that you have joined the class. Good questions to ask, if it isn’t clear from the syllabus:  Do absences already earned count against you in a course where attendance is part of your grade? What assignments have you missed? What do you need to do to become an active part of the class?

Dropping and Adding Courses as of the Second Week of Classes

  • You can indicate your intention to drop the course on the Courses/Registration page on MyUI by clicking “Drop” for the specified course. 
  • My UI will display a page with messages about the various permissions needed for the drop, information about deadlines, and warnings about possible implications to consider.
  • After reading the messages, click the button on the bottom of the page indicating that you agree to obtain required authorizations to complete the drop.
  • If you’re advised in the Academic Advising Center, you must make an appointment to discuss the drop with your advisor.  Only after that meeting will your advisor electronically authorize your request to drop a course.
  • If other authorizations are required (e.g., Student-Athlete Academic Services, International Students and Scholar Services, Dean’s Office), you will also need to obtain those authorizations.
  • Once you have obtained all required authorizations, log into MyUI to complete the drop by clicking the “Drop” button on the Courses/Registration page. 
  • Advisors in other departments or colleges may have other procedures in place for obtaining authorizations.   If you are not advised in the Academic Advising Center, check with your departmental or college advisor to see what their policy is. 

You can still process drops on the paper drop form at the  UI Service Center in 2700 University Capitol Centre (UCC), once you have obtained all required signatures.

Adding a course after the first week will continue to require a paper form with your advisor’s signature and the instructor’s signature (as well as any additional signatures such as Student-Athlete Academic Services, International Student and Scholar Services, or Dean’s Office).  These forms must be processed at UI Service Center in 2700 UCC.  For some courses, the department will sign for the instructor; see the table below.

The forms for adding and dropping are available online:  Change of Registration Form.

Adding and dropping can be complicated. You can find additional information about adding and dropping on the Things to Know About Adding and Things to Know About Dropping pages on this site.

Note that for undergraduates the last day to add a regular, semester-length course in Fall 2019, or to drop one without receiving a "W," is 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 9, 2019.  The last day that undergraduates may drop a semester-length course is 4:30 p.m., Monday, Nov. 4, 2019.

For a comprehensive list academic deadlines, view both the full academic calendar and the course deadlines calendar on the UI Registrar's website. 


Add / Drop Information for Tippie College of Business Courses

Add / Drop Information for International Students



Contacts and Policies for Adding Courses in Selected Departments


Office Policy for ADDING
African American Studies 210 JB 335-0285 see instructor
American Studies 210 JB
see instructor
Anthropology 114 MH 335-0522 GEP classes, see TA; all other courses, see instructor
Arabic 111 PH   335-2923 Go to 111 PH for instructor's office number or signature.
Art 150 ABW 335-1376 see instructor
Astronomy 203 VAN 335-1686 for courses below 2000, go to 203 VAN; courses above 2000, see instructor
Biochemistry 4-403 BSB 335-8993 go to Biochemistry Office or see instructor
Biology 143 BB 335-1050

To add Animal Bio, Foundations, or Diversity, see Cindy Toll, 133 BBE  
To add or change sections of Human Bio, see Angela Cordle, 168 BB  
To add 2000-level courses, see instructor

Chemistry E225 CB 335-1341

go to Chemistry Center, E225 CB

Chinese 111 PH   335-2923 Go to 111 PH for instructor's office number or signature.

105 BCSB   335-0330

see instructor
Classics 210 JB 335-2323 see instructor
Communication Sciences and Disorders

119C SHC 335-8718

see instructor
Communication Studies 105 BCSB 335-0578 go to 243 AJB, see Andrea Krekel.
Computer Science 14 MLH 335-0713

see instructor

Criminology, Law & Justice


W140 SSH, 335-2502

E114 HH 335-2228

see instructor for Adds.

go to class and see instructor

Earth and Environmental Sciences 115 TH 335-1818 See course instructor.
Educational Policy and Leadership Studies N491 LC  335-5302 see instructor
English 308E  EPB 335-0454 General Education literature courses, go to 308E EPB; for CW courses inquire at Dey House; for all other courses, go to class and see instructor
ESL (English as Second Language) 1112 UCC 335-5630 go to department office
Gender, Women's and Sexuality Studies 210 JB   335-0322 see instructor for late adds
Geographical & Sustainability Sciences 316 JH 335-0151 see instructor
Global Health Studies

24 Phillips Hall   384-1328

see instructor
Health and Human Physiology E102 FH 384-4664 see instructor
Health & Physical Activity Skills S501 FH 335-9302 go to class
History 280 SH 335-2299  go to department office 8AM- 12PM or 1- 5PM.
International Studies

24 Phillips Hall, 384-1328

see instructor
Journalism and Mass Communication E305 AJB 335-3486 see instructor
Latin American Studies 305 N CC 384-1328 see instructor
Latina/o Studies 305 N CC 384-1328 see instructor
Lifetime Leisure Skills E 216 FH 335-9293 Before class is underway, add on ISIS; after class is underway, go to first class meeting
Mathematics 14 MLH 335-0714

Department will check placement, after first week see Cindy Farthing in 125 MLH or email her at: to check math placement; then see instructor to sign add slip

Microbiology 3-403 BSB
see instructor
Music Voxman Music Building 335-1603 see instructor
Nursing 474 CNB  335-7015 NURS:3110  & NURS:1030 see Linda Myers
Philosophy 169 EPB   335-0203 see instructor
Physics 203 VAN  335-1686 for courses below 2000, see Heather in 203 VAN; for other courses, see instructor
Political Science 341 SH  335-2358 see instructor
Psychological & Quantitative Foundations  361 LC  335-5578 see instructor
Psychology G 60 PBSB  335-2406 go to Psychology department office
Public Health CPHB students should contact the instructor for add/drops

Rehabilitation and Counselor Education 

N338 LC  335-5275 discuss with advisor, then contact instructor
Religious Studies 314 GILH 335-2164 attend class and see instructor
Rhetoric 171 EPB 335-0178 add or change sections on  MyUI through Sunday, September 1st .
Social Work 308 NH
see instructor first; see Tomeka Petersen or Kate Kemp in the department office if instructor is not available
Sociology W140 SSH 335-2502 see instructor
Sport Studies 210 JB
see instructor
Spanish and Portuguese for all courses: 111 PH, 335-2923 

For all courses during the first 5 days of the semester: use MyUI. For GEP courses after the first 5 days: 111 PH.  For all other courses after the first 5 days: see instructor.

Sport and Recreation Management

E102 FH  384-4664

see instructor
Statistics 241 SH 335-0712

see instructor

Teaching and Learning (EDTL) 

N310 LC 335-5324 Go to N310 LC 
Theatre Arts 107 TB    335-2700 see instructor
Therapeutic Recreation E102 FH  384-4664 see instructor
World Languages
  • ASL
  • Arabic
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Portuguese
  • Russian
  • Sanskrit
  • Spanish
  • Swahili
111 PH   335-2923 Go to 111 PH for instructor's office number or signature.